Tag Archives: monolith

Source Of North Tyne River Marked

 

A  six-metre high sandstone monolith and base stone, lowered into place by RAF helicoptor,  now  mark the source of the North Tyne , at Deadwater Farm, north of Kielder village, Northumberland.

The stone  was provided by Robert Charlton of Border Stone Quarries in Haltwhistle, and the structural design work was carried out by Cundalls in Gosforth, Newcastle.

The stone was carved with inscriptions about the river source  by Gilbert Ward, of Fourstones village in Northumberland.

The stone column also pinpoints the start – or finish – of a planned national trail dedicated to those who are affected either directly or indirectly by cancer.

More details at – http://holywells.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=886#p886

 

.

forum banner

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Follies & Curiosities

FRANKENSTEIN SOUND LAB – Dalden Tower

Another from the Spirit Of Place project.

Dalden Tower is a ruined  fortified medieval manor house on the outskirts of Seaham, County Durham.

The manor of Dalden was probably in existence in the 12th century, in possession of the Escolland family. The first documentary evidence dates from c.1320 when Sir Jordan de Dalden sought permission to build a private chapel.

Shortly after this the manor passed by marriage to the Bowes family. It was the Bowes family who were responsible for the building of the tower.

In 1615 it was passed again by marriage to the Collingwoods and subsequently was purchased by the Milbank family.

Lord Byron married into the Milbank family of Seaham, though they weren’t living here then…did he ever visit the tower ?

According to the Durham historian William Hutchinson, writing at the end of the 18th century, it had long been derelict.

Today, the ruins always remind be of  of standing stones, the three remaining sections of wall like a trio of monoliths.

.

A&A forum banner

Leave a comment

Filed under Frankenstein Sound Lab