A rather grandiose Edwardian public drinking fountain.
Situated at the junction of the Great North Road and Clayton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Erected in memory of William Davies Stephens 1827-1901, mayor and sheriff of Newcastle, methodist and temperance reformer. He started out in business with a chemical firm, Hugh Lee Pattinson & Co, and later developed the Tyne Steam Shipping Co. with William Laing. He was elected a Newcastle councillor in 1874, alderman in 1890 and mayor in 1879 and 1887.
The inscription reads –
Erected by public subscription in recognition of the open hearted charity, ceaseless activity and unfailing geniality of W.D. Stephens, Alderman and J.P. of the city of Newcastle on Tyne, Sherriff 1879-80
Distinguished as the president of great organizations for the promotion of maritime commerce he earned still higher appreciation in the cause of temperance and the betterment of the poor and needy.
A citizen of lofty ideals and strenuous endeavour.
More info & photos of this fountain at –
A roadside water trough, located in Forsyth Road, West Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne, a few yards from the junction with the Great North Road.
An Ordnance Survey bench mark – a horizontal line with an arrow pointing up from below – is carved into one end of the trough.
These marks were cut by Ordnance Survey levelling staff to provide a network of points at which height has been precisely measured (to the centre of the horizontal line) above sea level.
There used to be about half a million bench marks in Great Britain but they are not needed any more, due to satellite technology, and about half have disappeared.
More photos/info in the Water Troughs In North East England thread at the Holy Wells & Water Lore Forum – http://holywells.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=200
Colvill Fountain, West Jesmond
Situated at the junction of the Great North Road and Forsyth Road, West Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
The fountain apparently “once rested against the wall of a building” – no buildings in the vicinity, so was it originally located elsewhere ? Several years ago there was talk of moving it, presumably to lean against a building again, but so far no action.
The inscription is incomplete due to weather / human interference…
This fountain was presented to the City of Newcastle by Miss Caroline Sophia Russell Colvill in loving remembrance of her brother, the late Edwin Dodd Colvill who was for upwards (bit missing) years well and honourably known in Newcastle
(the rest is unreadable, although it appears to end with a biblical quotation, from Matthew).
From other sources it appears it was unveiled on 22nd August 1889. All that seems to be known about Edwin Colvill is that he was a coal fitter.
More photos of this fountain, and others in north-east England can be found at this thread at the Holy Wells & Water Lore Forum – http://holywells.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=78