Colvill Fountain, West Jesmond
Situated at the junction of the Great North Road and Forsyth Road, West Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
The fountain apparently “once rested against the wall of a building” – no buildings in the vicinity, so was it originally located elsewhere ? Several years ago there was talk of moving it, presumably to lean against a building again, but so far no action.
The inscription is incomplete due to weather / human interference…
This fountain was presented to the City of Newcastle by Miss Caroline Sophia Russell Colvill in loving remembrance of her brother, the late Edwin Dodd Colvill who was for upwards (bit missing) years well and honourably known in Newcastle
(the rest is unreadable, although it appears to end with a biblical quotation, from Matthew).
From other sources it appears it was unveiled on 22nd August 1889. All that seems to be known about Edwin Colvill is that he was a coal fitter.
More photos of this fountain, and others in north-east England can be found at this thread at the Holy Wells & Water Lore Forum – http://holywells.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=78